Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cost of Living

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrgh. After a long and somewhat stupid, but also somewhat rewarding week, here I am with a belly full of ridiculously greasy dirty rice and a list of stuff to do.
The start of the stupidity began on Monday, when my Honda, which was parked at a gas pump while I was inside the adjacent convenience store buying a 6-pack of coke, popped out of the Emergency brake and rolled through the parking lot, off the sidewalk, into traffic and ended up plowing into the side of a 4-Runner. Awesome. I actually wasn't too worried about it at first- it wasn't my fault (so, obviously, no ticket should have been issued), I had auto insurance, so the damage should be covered, and hey, by the time it was all squared away with the police and the other car then the frozen salmon we had been trucking to a barbecue should be all thawed out. I bumped merrily away from the scene feeling a little shaken up but hopeful that everything was fine. That is, until I called my dad to tell him about it all only to find out that I would first have to pay for the $500 deductible on my insurance. And that the cop actually HAD found a law that states you're responsible for your handbrake functioning properly ($150). AND that while Tucker and I had been approved for the house we wanted to rent for the next year (FINALLY), I now owed a deposit of $275. And to top it all off, since the lease starts some time in August I'll be paying double rent for awhile. Whoooooo.

So needless to say I've been a bit grumpy, since my tab to the universe is somewhere in the region of $925...and that's a lot for someone who every two or three months buys a new CD and immediately feels guilty for the next week and a half. I ended up not going to the Capital Hill block party (oh good, it's actually going on AS I TYPE THIS) because I couldn't justify the cost of gas/ticket price/food and beverages for the day. This is particular blows because I'd been waiting forEVER to see Chromeo (and to see them with Riley) and now I've lost the opportunity for WHO KNOWS HOW LONG. It also sucks because I'm going to have a really hard time not working myself til I enter Crazytown in an attempt to make as much money as possible. I'm kind of astounded I'm not working right now. I keep trying to NOT think of all the glorious, wonderful, and PRACTICAL things I could have bought or saved for with $900 or more...but its a lot harder than it sounds.

The good news is that at least after that happened I had three days off and I went camping for Tucker's birthday, attended a really fun party and drank plenty of sangria, and Tucker discovered two new YouTube channels with copious amounts of No Reservations in full length, so at least I have that. Watching too much of that show has made me incredibly anxious to leave Bellingham, and I'm really feeling that today. So my antidote is to bake some strawberry rhubarb pie, some blueberry buckle, clean my house, take care of my to-do list, and when all of that is done, hope that I've forgotten how much I'd prefer to be anywhere else.

No comments: